Hospital funding consultation launched

Public feedback sought on $200 million local share contribution

Oakville, January 26, 2010 – For Immediate Release
Beginning this week, all Oakville households and businesses will receive a survey asking their opinion on the $200 million local share funding requested by Halton Healthcare Services (HHS) to build its proposed new Oakville hospital. The survey is also available online. A telephone survey of 600 residents begins the week of February 1, 2010, and a public meeting is scheduled at Town Hall from 7 to 9 p.m. on February 11, 2010. Staff will report to Council on the results of the public consultation on March 1, 2010.

“I believe that the proposed new hospital will enhance the quality and scope of health care services provided to our community, and this is key to the health and well-being of our citizens,” Mayor Burton said. “At the same time, financing a $200 million contribution to the hospital is a significant decision, and we want to hear the public’s views on this issue.”

The Province of Ontario has agreed to contribute 90 per cent of the cost of the hospital construction. The hospital must pay for the remaining 10 per cent of construction costs and 100 per cent of furnishings and medical equipment costs. The hospital must also pay for 100 per cent of the construction costs for retail space, cafeteria and future expansion space.

HHS estimates total local share costs to be $530 million. The Oakville Hospital Foundation has committed to raising $60 million from donors and hospital revenues are expected to generate an estimated $270 million, in addition to the $200 million requested from the town. The town would begin paying its portion of the local share costs in 2015. The estimated the tax impact of financing a $200 million contribution would begin at $15 per year per $100,000 of assessment in 2015, increasing to $35 per year per $100,000 of assessment over 30 years.

According to HHS President John Oliver, the hospital must demonstrate that it can pay all of the local share costs before it can tender the project for construction. “The $200 million contribution from the Town of Oakville towards the local share is a crucial step in securing Ministry of Health approval to move our project to the next phase. We are scheduled to tender the project this spring, begin construction in 2011 and open the new hospital in 2015. As a community, we have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to create a state-of-the-art hospital, which will have built-in capacity to expand with Oakville’s growing and aging population.”

The proposed new hospital will replace Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital (OTMH), which no longer has the capacity to expand or change in its current location. The Province of Ontario has donated 50 acres of land at Third Line and Dundas Street for the new hospital. It will be one of the first facilities in Ontario built to new provincial government standards and will include:

• a higher percentage of single-patient rooms to reduce the risk of infection and promote healing
• increased patient privacy and comfort
• enhanced clinical support systems
• additional diagnostic services
• a new cancer therapy program
• sleeping areas and lounges for families
• 457 beds (OTMH now has 320) with capacity of 600 by 2018/19

More information can be found on the new Oakville hospital website.

-30-

For more information:
Jane Courtemanche
Director, Strategy, Policy and Communications
Town of Oakville
905-845-6601, ext. 3038
jcourtemanche@oakville.ca


Sign up for the town’s RSS feeds

to get information delivered right to your desktop.

Link – 

Hospital funding consultation launched